Thursday, November 4, 2010

Restaurant Review: Torta D' Carlos (Mexico City)


Did you think it was called The Danger Zone because we sit around eating at salad bars all day? No, folks, sometimes the call of duty takes us to places where the going really can get tough. But it's a labor of love, and I'll be damned if the tough didn't get going today, all the way to Torta D'Carlos in Mexico City. Home of "Tortas con Calidad!"

I stumbled upon this tasty little hole in the wall on Hamburgo street in the Zona Rosa district of Mexico City. Zona Rosa is an incredibly nice area, full of quaint colonial buildings on small, tree-lined streets that are mostly named after European cities. The area abounds with outdoor seating at posh cafes, offering everything from Thai food or upscale Mexican, to decadent Argentinean steak houses. It's proximity to Paseo Reforma and several upscale hotels ensures that there is a well-heeled clientele constantly strutting through.

But today, I wanted good old fashioned Mexican street treats. Tacos would be fine, but I had those earlier today. Enchiladas would also be amazing, but that was dinner last night. No, I was thinking that one thing, and one thing only would do this time - a torta! I had nary left Copenhague street where my hotel was situated and walked out onto Hamburgo when my #1 rule for finding tasty local eats kicked in. Tortas D'Carlos beckoned with a hot 'sizzling' noise that I could hear above the sound of the cars driving buy, and an intoxicating aroma of chorizo and queso blanco, melting together in harmony on the grill.

Whenever approaching an establishment filled with local men in mustaches, one must approach carefully, yet confidently, especially when you are not sporting a mustache yourself. So I made a quick glance over the rudimentary menu outside, and quickly decided on the Cubana - "con 8 ingredientes!", the most expensive torta on the menu at a very reasonable 45 pesos. I noted that most of the other tortas had 2-3 ingredients, like jamon, chorizo, y queso blanco (30 pesos). But, I was hungry, so 8 ingredients sounded perfect!

This isn't a fancy place, by any means. It's a hole in the wall which sticks out like a sore thumb amongst it's many high-class eating establishment neighbors. But my view from the stool next to the grill gave me instant assurance that this place was the right decision, as piles of chicken, ham, chorizo, and other various meats sat ready for use.







 Directly to my left, the grill continued sizzling as patrons' orders were quickly and masterfully prepared by a guy who I'd estimate has probably made about 5 million tortas in his lifetime.








The final product was a thing of beauty. Avocados, tomatoes, chicken, bacon, jalapenos, queso blanco, chorizo, and a couple other things I can't name.  And I admit that I felt a bit stupid when the only thing I could utter when the owner handed me my heavy sandwich to-go was "muy grande!". Yeah, good one, Danger. Muy grande....

 
While I definitely felt good ordering the Cubana, I was only able to eat about half of it. And I definitely could feel like I would be suffering some heart burn, too.

But this I tell you unequivocally: the Cubana is one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten! Melting cheese, oozing everything, grease dropping all over your plate... It deserves every one of the 4 Ninja Star Throwing Oven Mits awarded this fine day.

And, if you're like me, and you think you'll only make it through half of the torta, then you'll probably be better off taking it to go, too. I wouldn't want to see what the local guys would do if they saw you not finishing your torta...

No comments:

Post a Comment